All Natural Food Zone Search Bar

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Food Review #44 Dagoba Organic Chocolate Lavender Blueberry Chocolate Bar



Oh, Dagoba Organic Chocolate. As you may know, we recently reviewed their Xocolatl, and New Moon chocolate bars. Both of them received a 10 out of 10.

How will this bar measure up? Let's find out.

There are several major differences. First is that the chocolate in this bar is different than the other Dagoba products we review previously. This bar is made with a 59% cacao content, while the other bars were made with a 74% cacao content. Therefore, this chocolate should be a bit lighter in flavor that the other bars, and should be a bit sweeter. The other difference is that this bar has lavender, and wild blueberries.

I have never before seen this combination, especially in a chocolate bar. I have not seen neither ingredient even on it's own in a chocolate bar. Dagoba Organic Chocolate is a daring chocolate company, and it seems they've taken a chance with this bar.

I had high expectations of this bar. The other Dagoba products I had reviewed previously were very, very good. Would this be as good as they were?

One concern I had was that this bar, because of the lavender; would be too much like perfume. Other products I had tried with lavender often did. I, personally, cannot stand products that taste like perfume. Another was the combination of lavender, blueberry and chocolate. Blueberry and chocolate are a good combination, but with lavender? I was uncertain about this bar, but I hoped for the best.

All Dagoba Organic Chocolate products are at least 95% organic, and are certified organic by the USDA. All of their products became Rainforest Alliance Certified in 2012. For more information of Dagoba Organic Chocolate, you can go to their site here

I gently open the package, and as I am about to open the second layer of packaging, I discover that there is some writing on the inner-side of the first layer of paper packaging. On it is a story directly from one of the founder's diaries (just as the Xocolatl, and New Moon bars had). This scored more points with me, as I love these kinds of small touches.

After I opened the second layer of packaging, I was hit with a smell of blueberries and lavender. I spotted some blueberries poking through the surface of the chocolate bar, I was happy that there were actual blueberries in this bar, instead of some blueberry essence, like some other companies may do.

Now for the taste.

As soon as I bit into this bar, I could feel a blueberry pop in my mouth. The chocolate in this bar was rich, even more so than the other bars I tried. The blueberries added a certain fruitiness, and paired perfectly with the chocolate; contrasting with the richness of the chocolate to make it a bit lighter. At first, I must admit, I did not really notice the lavender. After a bit, I began to notice it. I was surprised, as this bar did not lead with the lavender; but with the chocolate and blueberry. The lavender actually paired very well with the chocolate and blueberry, and was not perfumey at all. This made me feel relieved. Though the pairing of blueberry, lavender, chocolate may not be as famous, or as common as say, peanut butter and jelly; it should be. It is a great combination, and they all go wonderfully with each other.

This bar has a rich, and thick consistency. Even more rich than the other bars. The blueberries add a nice pop, and contribute to the texture. This bar is packed with blueberries, and you can see tons poking through the surface.

Below is a nice picture of the product from Dagoba, with a phrase I totally agree with~




This is one of the most unique products I have ever reviewed. And I must say, it is one of the best chocolate products we have reviewed so far. This is a truly original bar, and is a truly delicious bar. I highly recommend it, and I would definitely purchase it again.

Overall, our 44th Food Review, Dagoba Organic Chocolate Lavender Blueberry Chocolate Bar gets a 10 out of 10! It is available at stores across the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, and more, as well as on Dagoba's online store here.

Keep coming back to All Natural Food Zone, the best food site on the internet, for more reviews of Dagoba products, and more reviews, recipes, remedies, editorials, and more.

1 comment:

  1. This bar seems so good! I will buy this bar, and share my thoughts tomorrow! This sounds great, I had never heard of this bar or Dagoba, before reading All Natural Food Zone. Thanks ANFZ!!!!!!!! Will tell you all what I think tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete