All Natural Food Zone Search Bar

Friday, March 8, 2013

Food Review #45 Dagoba Organic Chocolate Eclipse Extra-Strong Dark Chocolate Bar





Once again, we at All Natural Food Zone are doing a Dagoba Organic Chocolate review. We recently reviewed their Xocolatl, New Moon, and Lavender and Blueberries chocolate bar products. They all received 10s out of 10s. Will this perform as well as they did?

The Dagoba Organic Chocolate Eclipse Bar has an 87% cacao content. The Dagoba products we previously reviewed had 74% and 59% cacao contents. This chocolate bar has the highest cacao content of any chocolate we've reviewed so far.

I usually eat milk chocolate, white chocolate, and richer dark chocolates with lower cacao contents than this one. I rarely eat chocolate with this high of a cacao content, I often find them too be too dark, and too bitter.

I came into this review with high expectations for this product, even though this isn't the typical variety of chocolate I eat.

All Dagoba Organic Chocolate products are at least 95% organic, and are certified organic by the USDA. All of their products became Rainforest Alliance Certified in 2012. For more information of Dagoba Organic Chocolate, you can go to their site here

As I read the outside of the package, the phrase "extra-strong dark chocolate" worried me. I usually despise this kind of chocolate. But I knew I had to, and would try it anyway.

As I gently open the package, and as I am about to open the second layer of packaging, I discovered that there is some writing on the inner-side of the first layer of paper packaging. On it is a story directly from one of the founder's diaries (just as the Xocolatl, New Moon, and Lavender and Blueberries bars had). This gained more points with me, as I really like these kinds of small touches.

As soon as the second layer of packaging was opened, you are immediately hit with an intense smell or chocolate. This only further eluded to the taste of this product.

As soon as I tasted this chocolate; I could tell that this was a very strong chocolate. It was a bitter bar, but not as bitter as say, cacao nibs. This chocolate was not a "one-note chocolate bar", as many of this darkness are. Though the flavor was mainly of chocolate, it had notes of coffee, cherries, and a touch of oak. The consistency was nice and thick, and very smooth.

This bar was very good, and it completely shocked me. It is good for eating, and it would be good for use in baking applications such as chocolate chunk cookies, or brownies. I would definitely buy this bae again, and I highly recommend it. For all of your dark chocolate lovers out there this and the New Moon bar are perfect for you. For the lover of the darkest of dark chocolate, I would go with the Eclipse. So far with Dagoba's products, they are all absolutely delicious.

Overall, Dagoba Organic Chocolate's Eclipse Extra-Strong Dark Chocolate Bar gets a 10 out of 10! This bar is truly delicious, and is one of my favorite Dagoba products. I would definitely buy this again, and recommend you to as well. It is available at stores across the US, Canada, UK, and Australia. You can also buy it online directly from Dagoba here.

2 comments:

  1. I love dis chocolate, bought a bar fr me, and one for my homey! Best choco bar ever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never even heard of Dagoba before this set of reviews, now I am a Dagoba fanatic!

    ReplyDelete